The churchyard outside Holy Trinity is known as Tonge's Court and has a number of trees which are named for various people associated with the church. This is George Pott's tree and a little leaflet in the church tells us that George was the Proctor at the Consistory Court. Consistory courts were the courts of Bishops with each Bishop having probate jurisdiction within his diocese. On his death in 1666 George left the sum of £5 to the parish for the benefit of other parishioners.
Other names in the churchyard include Phineas Bull, apprentice to John Whitakers, Apothecary who left £5 in 1669, and Roger Hadton, a girdler who left £50 in 1662. A girdler made girdles and belts and there was a Girdler's Guild in York. A copy of the Girdler's Code survives from 1307 and includes a ban on night work or work done outside a master's house.
|exposure mode||shutter priority|